Friday, May 7, 2010

A Mother's Day Tribute

"All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." ~Abraham Lincoln

Thirty three years ago my young, beautiful mother posed spontaneously for a Montana Standard photographer. I was on her hip. It appeared the next day on the front page as a Mother's Day feature photo. I've never given the photo, that lay tucked away in my baby book, much thought.

Now that I'm a mom, it takes on a whole new meaning. It's a special photo because it represents a bond that mother and child have, but especially mother and daughter, which started for us, I'm sure, the day I was born. It's not possible to appreciate and cherish that bond until one becomes a mother themselves.

I've reflected a lot on this photo, realizing that being a mother is possibly the greatest gift God gave to woman. It's easy to take for granted at times, those little people that we love so much, and cause us gray hair, and sleepless nights. But I try hard not to take this very important role for granted.
I love my mom, I love being a mom, and I'm thrilled there is a day to honor the loveliness of mothers.

To each and every woman that reads this, take a moment to reflect on the loveliness of your mother, and your mother's mother, and yourself, if you're a mother.

CHEERS!

1977, my mother and me. 2010, my son and me.

3 comments:

KT said...

Nice work Gayle, what a special picture!

Tammie said...

"being a mother is possibly the greatest gift God gave to woman."

the whole post was so beautiful, and i love the photos. this quote totally put me in tears.

Christina said...

beautiful.

fall